Sun Plans Linux Version of iPlanet

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jan 29 00:42:31 PST 2002

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article/0,,7_963211,00.html

"Sun Microsystems Inc. (NASDAQ:SUNW) may focus most of its attention on its
proprietary UNIX, Solaris, but with customer demand for Linux support
spiking, the company revealed Monday that it will provide a new Linux
version of its iPlanet Application Server software.
"Over the past year, we have seen increased demand among our customer base
for Linux support," said Wes Wasson, vice president of iPlanet product
marketing at Sun. "While most customers are continuing to deploy on the
Solaris OE (operating environment) platform, they are developing on multiple
platforms and we are committed to providing the robust, open foundation they
need to build applications and services on demand. Coupled with Forte For
Java Enterprise Edition, Sun will soon offer open source developers a
compelling and comprehensive end-to-end Linux development environment that
enables developers to easily build, test and debug robust services on demand
and J2EE applications."