Intel and HP partner with Ximian in Mono Project

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jan 28 02:16:18 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rod Gammon" <AEG-Inc at hawaii.rr.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 11:34 PM
Subject: [luau] RE: Intel and HP partner with Ximian in Mono Project

> Warren-
>
> Got any data on "changed the license from GPL to..." stipulations?  Also,
> what about owners of GPL'd stuff, could one distribute GPL while making
own
> amendments closed source?  How long does the license last?  Or is just new
> stuff going to be xfree license?

A license change like this can only be done if all code copyright holders
agree upon the change.  Probably in the case of Mono a very small amount of
coders agreed upon the change.  I think a similar change from GPL to
BSD-type license occured with WINE earlier in history, though I'm not
entirely certain.

Your second question seems to deal with "dual" or "triple" licensing.  When
someone owns the copyright on the ENTIRE codebase of an open source project,
they can license the code under multiple licenses at the same time.
Probably the two largest examples of this are Mozilla and OpenOffice.
OpenOffice requires that all contributed code be signed over to Sun
Microsystems in copyright ownership.  The direct result of this is that the
"open source" side is forced to remain open source by the GPL license,  but
Sun is free to release their own proprietary product StarOffice using the
exact same codebase + closed source extentions.

> BTW, do you actually submit all this stuff (a great resource!) or do you
> have a team of bots and winged (or fezzed) monkeys do the bulk of it?
> Because you sure do produce a lot!
>
> aloha-
> rod g

I get all of this news from