U.S. Postal Service courts Microsoft advertising

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jan 25 10:17:42 PST 2002

http://www.computeruser.com/news/02/01/25/news6.html

"Postal Service spokesman Gerry Kreienkamp said that there is a certain
irony to the fact that the agency has sealed a marketing deal with Microsoft
while the Justice Department and state attorneys general are locked in
settlement talks with the software company over antitrust charges, but said
there is no conflict."

My commentary:
Shrug.  The postal service will allow any company to advertise on their
premises.  I think there would be a slight problem here in giving the
impression that the postal service ADVOCATES and legitimizes the use of
Windows XP, but that's just the power of advertising dollars.

And we do know that the USPS uses Linux in some of their key mail handling
facilities.  I don't quite remember what they do, might have been something
like reading addresses off envelopes, but it was an important job that Red
Hat and Linus Torvalds got involved in order to fix some obscure kernel bug
that was discovered there.