general question

andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jan 24 19:37:35 PST 2002

> just out of curiosity, how many people here have done the >linux from scratch
 type of project?

Not exactly Linux from scratch but leaning that way ...
I am building a Gentoo machine. You start with a 16 MB boot CDROM, and then
you use the emerge program to build a complete system from source. You compile
gcc, binutils and few things and then compile glibc. After glibc you redo gcc
and binutils. I have a running Gentoo system, but I am having trouble compiling
xfree 4.0. The compile errors out and complains that xmkmf is missing. I think
to myself, "Yea xmkmf is missing because xfree is not installed yet!". Gee this
one is confounding.

Steve Anderson