ftp help.....

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 01:02:33 PST 2002

Aloha all,

	I need some help debugging a scripted ftp session designed to fetch
updated virus signature files.  The script used to work, but now, not so
well.... The errors returned are cryptic to me at least.  Here is the
output of the script...

[root at VALinux uvscan]# ./GetMcAfeeUpdates
creating tmp directory /tmp/dat-updates
Connected to ftp.nai.com.
220 sncwebftp2 Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).
331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
230-You are connected to ftp.nai.com.
230-Your use is subject to the terms and conditions in Legal.TXT
230-and Usage.TXT files
230-*Mirror sites at FTPEUR.NAI.COM and FTPDE.NAI.COM*
230 Anonymous user logged in.
cd pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x
250 CWD command successful.
bin
200 Type set to I.
prompt
Interactive mode off.
mget dat-*.tar
Invalid PORT Command.
ftp: bind: Address already in use
close
221 Thanks for using ftp.nai.com!
bye
./GetMcAfeeUpdates: [: *.ta: integer expression expected
Current installed version of uvscan is: 4181
Version on ftp server is: *.ta
Getting files from ftp server
tar: dat-*.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: dat-*.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
./GetMcAfeeUpdates: [!4181: command not found
 Done GetMcAfeeUpdates...
[root at VALinux uvscan]#

My .netrc file is here:

[root at VALinux uvscan]# cat /root/.netrc
machine ftp.nai.com
login anonymous
password beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
macdef init
cd pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x
bin
prompt
mget dat-*.tar
close
bye

[root at VALinux uvscan]#

I have figured out that the likely source of the problem is generated by
the mget command. However, the man page doesn't give me much help in
figuring out what's the problem.  My question is what could cause the
"Invalid PORT command" message and the "ftp: bind: Address already in
use" error messages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ben