Sparc64 Linux?

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Thu Jan 17 22:17:50 PST 2002

Does anyone else use Linux on a sparc?  I just installed Suse 7.3 (kernel 2.4.14)
on my Ultra 2 and I have having a problem.  I have a second harddrive (36GB IBM
SCA) that will not work with it.  The drive works fine with Solaris.  I have done
some searching and it sounds like teh problem might have something to do with the
way egcs does something while compiling the kernel.  Does anyone else know anything
about this?  the error is:

esp0: Warning, live target 0 not responding to selection.

That just keeps scrolling up the screen.

If I take the 36 GB drive out and just use my 4GB everythign works fine.

So I decided I would try compiling my own kernel and not use egcs and see if that
solves anything.  Does anyone on the list know how to compile a kernel on sparc64?
So far I have

#make menuconfig
#make dep
#make clean
#make boot (not make bzImage)
is the rest the same?
#make modules
#make modules install

It keeps erroring out on make boot with something about kbd.

Thanks,
Dusty