Wireless Success

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jan 16 01:56:22 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "R Scott Belford" <sctinc at mac.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 11:25 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: Wireless Success

> Bravo, Warren.  I knew you would make it work, but I never thought that
> it would end up being so easy.  Your progress has made interesting
> reading.  Are you doing like the arp security article suggested and
> separating your lan from your wireless lan from your wan with separate
> nics?
>
> scott

Yes, the wireless LAN is its own PCI card in my firewall.  The SMC2602W is a
PCI card with the PLX chip, some kind of PCMCIA bridge.  Plugged into it is
a standard SMC2632W PCMCIA card with the Prism2 chipset that many people say
works great in Linux.  If you use the linux-wlan-ng drivers this device
would be wlan0, but those drivers didn't work for me.  I ended up using the
orinoco_plx driver that is mostly compatible with this chipset, and part of
the Red Hat kernel distribution.  With the orinoco_plx driver, the interface
shows up as an /dev/ethX device just like another NIC.

I think I will use several security methods like MAC addresses and port scan
detection on that interface, and have a script disable the interface if any
mischief is detected.  Fine for my house network, but wouldn't work so well
with many users. =)