More Wireless Recommendations?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Jan 12 18:05:39 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <epsas at inflicted.net>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 11:10 AM
Subject: [luau] Re: More Wireless Recommendations?

> > PLAN B $240
> > 2 Orinoco Silver PCMCIA cards for two notebook computers.
> > 1 Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card + PCI PCMCIA adapter for Linux firewall.
> > Will point to point (card to card) setup be difficult?
> > Is it difficult to toggle to normal operation when I bring my notebook
> > work or UH campus?
> > Use iptables to control MAC address access to any network resources.
Will
> > this work?
> > Will iptables configuration be complicated?
>
> Card to Card setup (Ad-Hoc) is not hard to set up - however, any computer
with an 802.11 card can act as an AP - so Ad-Hoc won't be needed.

Any computer with an 802.11 card can act as an AP?  You know of any
documentation on this?

What PCI to PCMCIA adapter should I use?  Will the Linksys one work with
Lucent Orinoco cards?

> Get the gold if the prices are the same.  One thing to note, however, is
that
> pricey Lucent cards are just as good as the cheap SMC which I bought,
> and continue to use.  The only saving grace to the Lucent cards is that
> it is easy to add an external antenna if you wanted to raise your gain.

At PCMALL.com, Lucent Silver is about $80 and Gold is about $90.  Is there
ANY benefit to Gold, or is WEP that useless at any bit length?