LDAP Servers

Jon Reynolds proteon at gci.net
Fri Jan 11 22:13:08 PST 2002

This is just a general question to see if I am correct or confused about
these. My understanding of LDAP is a server that holds all company email
and whatever personal data one chooses to divulge. All users then would
be able to connect to this server and get all email addresses and phone
numbers that have been supplied at one central locatation on the
network. This would make keeping address books that are stored locally
obsolete because all could connect to the server and this would hold the
information, also a user could sync their personal address book with the
server to keep their addresses current. Is this correct or am I missing
it?

Jon