Good News: Microsoft Civl Suit Settlement Rejected in Court

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jan 11 20:09:16 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronnie T Livingston" <rlivings at hawaii.edu>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 5:53 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: Good News: Microsoft Civl Suit Settlement Rejected in
Court

> arent these private suits different than the one microsoft has with the
> U.S. govt?

Yes they are completely seperate, but if I understand this correctly the
earlier conviction in criminal court that Microsoft did abuse their monopoly
power gives something like a "precedent" for the civil suits.

Unfortunately, even though Microsoft has already been found guilty, I highly
doubt they will be punished much in the criminal case.