apache upgrade

R Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Fri Jan 11 13:26:22 PST 2002

No excitement here.  I too take seriously the craft of system
administration.  More importantly, I take very seriously the process of
objectively imparting this knowledge to others.

We're talking about the apache rpm.  That's all.  Do you really think
that the folks at redhat or debian would support your theory that your
compilation of apache would be more secure?  If it is compiled with
modules you don't need, disable them.  If it is compiled without modules
you need, get them.  I can't comment on the fact that features create
complexity which leads to alcoholism.  If it is that bad, get out.  This
is the zen of life.

Do you really think that security conscious shops should talk to redhat
or debian to see what their snort logs look like?  Seriously.  First
off, this would only inform you of suspicious activity.  These logs
would afford no evidence of a security breach.  Do you know of many
security conscious shops populated with personnel more knowledgeable
than these "package providers" capable of questioning their security
expertise?  You can't believe that it is up to local shops to be sure
that debian or redhat are not compiling their packages on hacked
machines.  Why don't you contact them and ask to see the snort logs. :)

This person just wanted to upgrade his apache rpm.  All he needed to
know was that if he had RPM upgrade apache, then the newer files would
replace the older files.  If he had RPM install the new version of
apache, then it would exist beside the old version and possibly make
things bad.  I don't see any reason why he should touch a tarball for
his purposes.

While you are clearly full of more knowledge than I expect to attain any
time soon, I don't accept your assertion is that webmin promotes
laziness because you don't know what is actually being done.  Calling it
a "web based system configuration tool aimed at new sysadmins" is a bit
condescending.  You can't use the program to administer your system if
you don't know what you are administering.  Any command-line jockey can
make a convincing case that their method is  faster and requires more
knowledge.  This does not make it better, and certainly does not qualify
webmin as a newbie tool.  Obviously webmin is only as secure as the the
webserver hosting it.  Surely you know that you can accept connections
to webmin only from specific ip addressess or specific interfaces.
Users of webmin don't have to have root access, the modules available to
them can be limited, etc.  I fail to see why this is not a great tool
for those of us entering the realm of linux without the time to read
through countless man pages to perform basic sysadmin tasks.

I want to see the world using linux.  I want to see those of you with
advanced skills making lots of money administering linux based
enterprises.  To get there one must develop greater empathy for those
who are just starting out.  Undermining someone's confidence in an rpm
should be accompanied with something other than an opinion.  Criticizing
a tool like webmin because it is not complicated enough or because you
don't know about it's security measures threatens to scare new users
away from a tool that could save them a lot of time and headaches.
These users you intimidate may one day comprise the market force that
keeps you gainfully employed, or they may turn to the comfort and ease
of micro$oft.

Linux is for everybody if everyone helps

scott

knowledge without humility is just an indulgence in arrogance