apache upgrade

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 10 20:15:13 PST 2002

If you want to install software from non-RPM sources, I highly suggest not
installing it anywhere inside of /usr because it will get mixed up with your
RPM system.  I usually install extra software in /opt/softwarename, or
sometimes /usr/local/bin if it is very small.

However, for Apache you don't need to use *.tar.gz files.  Red Hat packages
the latest version of Apache in their Red Hat Rawhide, a place where they
put the cutting edge latest versions of their packages.  You can find
Rawhide on most Red Hat mirrors.  This URL is to the latest version of
Rawhide Apache RPM.  It may require upgrades of many other Red Hat packages
if RPM compiles about dependencies.  You will find these upgraded
dependencies in Rawhide too.
http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/apache-1.3.22
-3.i386.html

The benefit of using RPM's is that upgrading remains easy in the future.
The drawback of RPM is that you must find and install all dependencies that
the new RPM packages require.  In order to avoid this dependency hell, when
it comes to production servers I personally don't stray from the official
Red Hat packages anymore so I can avoid hassle, because the errata updates
usually takes care of any problems or security holes it may have.  This way
my Red Hat Network subscription also knows when to e-mail an alert to me
when they have discovered security holes in the version I am running.  Red
Hat can't alert me of these holes if I'm running Rawhide or my own .tar.gz
installation.