VNC X Desktops

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jan 9 19:40:27 PST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 14:06, Julio C.Gutierrez wrote:
> hey Warren last night you mentioned tightVNC as a way to see your linux
> desktop from a windows machine over the internet, where can I find
> information on how to set up my linux box at home so I can use windows from
> school to connect to it is there a how-to for VNC?
>
> TIA
>
> Julio

This is through a combination of Xvnc, XDMCP (xdm, gdm, or kdm), and
xinetd.  Use the vnc-server package that comes with your Linux
distribution.  Then you must edit your XDMCP daemon settings (kdm for
KDE, gdm for Gnome) to allow XDMCP connections.  Then edit xfs to allow
for network connections (/etc/X11/fs/config).

Then follow the information on these pages to use Xvnc as an X server:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/xvnc.html
http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~andre/extern/ixvnc.htm

With proper xinetd configuration it will allow incoming VNCVIEWER
connections and open a new desktop window for each user.  I'll try to
post my scripts up here later tonight, but if I forget please remind me
in e-mail.

I hope this helps,
Warren Togami
warren at togami.com