Alternative OS Install Fest

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Mon Jan 7 17:11:26 PST 2002

Suggestion:  Have a computer (or more than one) that boots every OS you
can possibly make it boot (like an 8-way booter)...would look really
cool I think to the newbies and also would be a great way to let them
"try before they buy."

As for GeekOS, it's really not very useful right now.  In fact, the
people working on it have only recently gotten it booting on real
hardware (before they were using an i586 emulator).  Basically it's just
a kernel, might be able to couple it with a simple shell (possibly a
port of "ash") and make a usable system out of it.  I bet the GeekOS
guys would be proud.

Other operating systems to show off follow:
YamitOS: <http://yamit.sourceforge.net/>
Gemini Nucleus Microkernel: <http://gemini.sourceforge.net/>
The Kid OS: <http://kos.enix.org/index.php?lang=en>

There's many more.  I just think that installfests tend to concentrate
on linux and other UNIX derrivatives too much and should be a more
general "alternative" (to microsoft of course) OS installfest as this
one's being called.

--MonMotha