think(?) piece...

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Thu Jan 3 20:32:27 PST 2002

>9*/NT4.0, what are you planning on doing when Bill Brother totally drops
support for
>those platforms?

NT and 9x? HAHAHA
Where I work we still support about 2000 Win3.1 machines with netbeui on
token ring to way old IBM 3595 servers running OS/2.  We made the IBM
servers and bridges Y2k compatible by moving the clocks back a few
years.  They was plans to have all areas "upgraded" to NT and
Zen by now but being an airline after Sep 11 doesnt leave much money for
improvement!
Hey, if it works...

Most of our *nix equipment is HP Unix but we do have Linux in non-standard
but critical locations.
One is a legacy protocol conversion from the remote OS/2 servers to the
mainframes in our headquarters.  These are a mix of computers and Linux
embedded boxes from JBM
Electronics (www.jbmelectronics.com).  JBM is still fine tuning them.
Another is the Passur flight tracking system (www.passur.com) designed by
a company from Long Island called Megadata.  I've met the owners and
almost all of their design team and they are an outstanding group of
people.  They designed the entire system and the computing is all done
with  in house programming running on RTLinux (fsmlabs.com).

I did my part with Linux by setting up a few multi purpose servers to
provide printing, www, ftp, samba, and *reliable* remote TCP/IP
connectivity to select Novell servers (IMHO our Novell guys suck).