redhat kernel patches

lockhart at irtf.ifa.hawaii.edu lockhart at irtf.ifa.hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 24 20:10:34 PST 2002

Mostly because I'm lazy and that's what came with 7.2.  If I can get the
thing to work, then I'll worry about upgrading.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems just building the kernel for the
machine I'm using.  The system is a compaq proliant dl360 thinserver, dual
P3, 1GB ram, dual scsi drives, raid controller set to level 0, 2 pci
busses, 2 built in ethernet ports,  onboard video.

So far I've only been able to build a working kernel using the .config
file generated by running "make oldconfig".  For some reason I thought
this would just run "make config" and choose the defaults, but I'm not
sure where I got that idea from, and it seems to be wrong.

I've tried building working kernels from both the 2.4.7-10 code and from
the straight up 2.4.7 code.  I can get the kernels built and installed,
but they fail on bootup.  So I'm tweaking trying to find the right setup.
I *think* that if I can get the *-10 kernel building I can get the
standard working, but I'll have to see.

-Charles