Complete Turn Key Linux Server

Wayne Bow admin at stfrancis-oahu.org
Tue Feb 26 10:47:29 PST 2002

Hi,

I would very carefully think thru the ramifications of loading all your
critical apps on one machine. Even a super machine is going to go
down and putting all of your eggs in one basket is a risky
proposition. Unless, of course, you don't need 24/7 reliability or you
have a backup machine ready to take over when the first one stops.

My $.02.

Have a great day!

> 1.Build a server that will have the following capabilities
>     Firewall/Proxy server with VPN capability
>     PoP/SMTP/IMAP Email server
>     Web Server
>     FTP Server
>     DHCP Server
>     Print Server
>     File Server - users can map drives with permissions
>     Inbound and Outbound fax server
>     Voicemail System
>
> 2.Be able to "mass produce" the load with some type of software
> protection so others could not simply copy the hard drive to make
> their own servers.
>
> 3.Use an operating system that is inexpensive, highly reliable, and
> does not use lots of resources. (Sounds like Linux)
>
> 4.Have a Web interface to allow an administrator to add a user on one
> screen and an account in all the servers is created.
>
> It appears from reading the Mandrake web page that was recommended for
> a first load that the network type things are relatively easy.  The
> fax, and voicemail might be more of a challenge.
>
> I think their is a large market for such a server.  It would go beyond
> other boxs like Cobalts Cube3.  Being in the Telecom/Data community
> here in Hawaii I know it would sell.
>
> I would appriciate any feedback from anyone willing to lend a hand.  I
> have an established vehicle to deliver the product and would be
> willing to split profits etc.
>
> Aloha,
> Matt
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to luau as: admin at stfrancis-oahu.org To
> unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst('Email.Unsub')

Wayne Bow
Network Administrator
St Francis School                   (808) 988.4111 ext 107
"Quality education in a spirit of JOY"