Community commentary: Encouraging open code in- public procurement policies

yuser yuser at hi.net
Mon Feb 25 17:43:16 PST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:09:43 -1000, Tom Donahoe <tdonahoe at midpac.edu>
said:

>Hi all--
>    Mostly I've been lurking on this list, but the discussion on this topic
>compels me to say a little something on it.
>    The crux of the matter, it seems to me, with the Open Source vs.
>Proprietary software issue is the copyright model itself.

You touch on points far deeper then just copyright.  Your views appear
to be a combination of the effects of varies existing and upcoming
laws combined with general trends in the software/computer industry
that would not fly in the non software/computer industies.  Copyright,
DMCA, UTICA, EULA's, IP/Trademark issues, and somewhat shady software
and business method patents.   Each of these when viewed seperately do
not pose a signigficant threat to consumers or open source but any
combinations of two or more spell disaster for anyone but big well
funded or politically supportive organizations.