Mailing List Capacity Reached! CRAP!

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Feb 22 12:28:51 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean Fujioka" <surfdean at hawaii.rr.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 8:50 AM
Subject: [luau] Re: Mailing List Capacity Reached! CRAP!

> Warren,
> thanks for your jewels of knowledge and time...
> If Mailman is web based, does that mean that we would not be able to
> retrieve it in our mailboxes, or is that merely an alternative method to
> read the mail?  I'd like to remain as open source and free as possible
> regardless... it just makes sense. As a recent subscriber, I'll speak for
> the uninitiated unsubscribed people and say "Please add more users to the
> list".

Mailman is web based only in reading the mail archives, just like Lyris, but
the web user interface of Lyris is rather unintuitive and unsearchable by
search engines.  You also can't refer to an archived post by URL, something
that works well with Mailman.

Otherwise, Mailman would behave exactly like this current mailing list,
except it wont freak out when some HTML tags are in the body of the message.
(Bug that we noticed a while ago.)

> I like the name LUAU, but if you must change it, I like Steve's idea of
> putting Hawaii in there somewhere, like Hawaii Unix / Linux Users HULU or
> Hawaii Unix /Linux Advocates HULA
>
> dean

LUAU isn't too bad of a name, but HULA - Hawaii Unix & Linux Advocates is
even better.  It actually has the word Hawaii in it, while remaining a group
neutral list.