Samba Question

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Feb 18 21:29:56 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "whenever" <whatever at whoever.net>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 6:59 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: Samba Question

> Wasn't netbios installed by default when you added tcp/ip ? I think samba
> uses netbios(smb), I might be wrong.  I never encounter this problem with
NT
> workstation or Server, when the user's passwd on NT did not match samba
> account, it will ask you to retype the passwd when accessing the shares.
> have you try this from the prompt ?
> net use <driver letter>: \\smb.netbios.name\username
> ie: net use k: \\NTname\usera
> then it will ask for your passwd if it's different.

Unlike Windows, Samba can only talk NETBIOS over TCP/IP.  You must also be
on the same TCP/IP network segment.  Depending on your Windows operating
system, sometimes you have to remove the TCP/IP device and reinstall it in
order to get NETBIOS over TCP/IP option to come back if it is currently
disabled and grayed out.