Samba Question

yuser yuser at hi.net
Sun Feb 17 16:19:55 PST 2002

>I can browse and access all the machines and shares on them
>from  my samba server except the NT machine which I can browse but can't
>access any of the shares from.   Is there a setting in the smb.conf to fix
>this?  I can access the NT share from other 95 and 98 machines.  Could use
>all ideas.

For NT and above to connect to a Samba server with user level security
(security = user) enabled you need to configure Samba to use encryted
passwords (encrypt passwords = Yes).  There are ways around it by
modifing the registry of each client machine but its not hard to
configure Samba to except encrypted passwords.

More info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q166730
http://www.rdg.ac.uk/ITS/Topic/LocalNet/LoPCsmb_01/#PlainText
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smbpasswd.5.html