Unix Developers: Advanced Makefiles

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Feb 16 00:08:16 PST 2002

Useful article for those working on larger programming projects on Unix
platforms.

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2002/02/14/makefiles.html
"In this article, we analyze a fairly complicated makefile. This makefile
was captured from actual use in the wild, and sections specific to that
project have been removed for this article. ... Sysadmins, make can be
useful to you, too! As we step through the makefile, think about how the
techniques here can be applied to rebuilding a configuration script, or an
installation script, or as an auto-updating tool."