Help with tar

yuser yuser at hi.net
Fri Feb 15 18:16:12 PST 2002

I need help with some tar options..

I am trying to use tar to backup my /home directory into a file.
I have the contents of some directories that I do not want backed up.
Example..

Almost every user has a directory called
some_user/ie/Temporary Internet Files and various others that I really
do not to backup

I have tried the --exclude option but it seems to only take exact
names, meaning that to exclude "yuser/ie/Temporary Internet Files"
I could add this to the --exclude, but what about the other users
Temporary Internet Files folders?  Is there a way to prevent achiving
any directory that is named Temporary Internet Files without adding a
specific exclude statement for every user that has that directory?
What would really be nice is for tar to create the directory called
Temporary Internet Files in the backup but not backup any of the files
that are in that directory, I have not got that far yet.

Maybe I should be using one of the backup script packages and not
trying to use tar directly.