Community commentary: Encouraging open code in public procurement policies

Rod Gammon AEG-Inc at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Feb 11 21:55:15 PST 2002

You would not believe...

Whole books come out of august institutions like MIT, Oxford, etc.
discussing software models or software supported analyses without discussing
the software.  At least for linguistics.  The situation is so bad that
Richard Sproat, at patent loving AT&T/Lucent, complains about it in a book
published by that company.

So if we want open science, we have to fight for it.  This begins with
scientists willingly promoting open source.

The big problem is fear of being poor.  Its one I wrestle with now.  Its not
too bad as I can teach and, I hope, get grants to write open software and
thus make money.  But I still fail to see how open source can lead me to
income as a person only writing and selling open software.  Supporting,
packaging, and fixing existing wares yes, perhaps.

But taking a void, say nlp software, and filling it with open source as
profit making?  I welcome any model for making money that way.

aloha-
rod g