[luau] Hyper technology

LinuxDan linuxdan at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 31 14:55:00 PST 2002

   All I can say is that testing with the MIT software, the article from
Linux Magazine (January 2003 page 8) and Mark Minasi (W2K guru) and Dan York
(Linux guru)all show performance levels that justify what Intel (retail
site) stated  on how that the CPU reacts as a dual processor since the
technology uses thinner (diameter) wiring throughout the processor.  Mark
and Dan just published a book together called "Linux for Windows
Administrators" which is a follow up to the "Secret Decoder Ring" book, in
which Dan describes how "hypertechnology" is a plus for Unix/Windows
systems.  They give high performance ratings on a box that uses it versus
one that uses dual xeon (2.0 ghz) CPUs.  I want to move on to other issues
so I will not be responding to anymore emails on this.  If you have any
further questions, please buy the book or
check the Intel Retail site which url I listed previously.  If you already
tweaked your hdd to work on a previous unit and installed the same hdd on
the  box which uses this technology, then that may be why you have such poor
performance.  Do a fresh install of RH or Windows and wipe your hdd clean
prior to running the new install and you will definitely see a performance
boost.  I just know from installing a dual boot (XP and RH8) on a friends
box that it works as well as stated.

Dan

> L1 and L2 cache as well so don't buy into any negative comments about
> hyperthreading until you read the facts.  Buy the way, the unit described
in
> this article was a Dell and came preinstalled with RH7.2.
>
> Dan

I don't profess to understand completely how L1 and L2 cache works, but
I know enough to say I don't think you understand the true nature of
this situation.  Hyperthreading simply doesn't make things twice as
fast.  No disrespect intended.

Warren