[luau] Seminar - Introduction to Linux for Schools

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Dec 27 18:39:00 PST 2002

http://www.mplug.org/phpwiki/index.php/MPLUGSeminar15

  Seminar: Introduction to Linux for Schools

  Date: Monday, December 30th, 2002
  Time: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
  Food: RSVP if you want to order $5 pizza and soda.

  Location: Mid-Pacific Institute KCC3 Linux Thin Client Lab
  Map and Driving Directions
  http://www.mplug.org/phpwiki/index.php/MPIKCC3

At this seminar we will go over the ways in which Linux can benefit
schools. We will begin to introduce the technical aspects of how LTSP
(Linux Terminal Server Project) thin clients are installed and
configured.  Attendees will be able to try Mid-Pac's own LTSP thin
clients in production, upgraded to the latest Gnome2 environment. It is
the hope of this and future sessions that more people will learn about
the intricacies of LTSP so we have many community members available to
support Linux in schools. If you can't make this session, don't worry,
there will be many more. With the extreme cost savings and improved
reliability of Linux, we have a huge opportunity to provide many
computer labs to the State even during these weak economic times.

This seminar is targetted mainly to Educators and community volunteers.

The topics of this seminar include:
    1. Linux services for schools
           * Precendents of Linux success around the world
           * Firewall, File & Print server, Mail, Web, etc.
    2. LTSP installation and configuration
    3. Community involvement
    4. The role of the new charity organization - Hawaii Open Source
Education Foundation

Please RSVP e-mail Warren Togami at <warren at togami.com> with subject
"LINUX SEMINAR 15" if you plan on coming. Please let me know if you want
us to order pizza and soda for you for $5.

  Warren Togami
  warren at togami.com
  Mid-Pacific Linux User's Group
  http://www.mplug.org