[luau] Ladies and Gentlemen

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Fri Dec 27 17:50:00 PST 2002

far out...I did the non-profit educationally oriented corporation MANY years
ago for the Hawaii Netware Users Group (HINUG) but alas, interest in Netware
waned and the group died. However the tax exempt status was great....however
there were a couple gotchas that I'd like to pass on.

1.    You MUST run at least 1 general meeting a year and it must be run by
something like Robert's Rules of Order.
2.    At that general meeting, two things MUST happen:
    a.    An advisory board of directors must be voted upon and the
installed after voting
    b.    A rollover resolution for funds obtained but not spent in the past
fiscal year, be rolled over to the next fiscal year to help fund overall
long term goals of the organization.
3.    The minutes of this meeting must be published or be available for
public inspection.

If you can do all three, then it works and donations are legal....if you
don't....then the IRS will have a conversation with you.

Oh yeah...I made the suggestion about donating to UH since this issue came
up now....that way the donation can be made and whoever can get a donation
letter this tax year.  However, having said that, I am FULLY in support of
the group getting non-profit status and yes ALL the donations should go to
the group. However, I would still suggest that donations that will
eventually go to a school, be donated directly to said school.  If you're a
class-c corporation and the gear is two years old or less...there is a
special tax credit if it goes to a K-12 educational institution.

/brian chee

University of Hawaii ICS Dept
Advanced Network Computing Lab
1680 East West Road, POST rm 311