[luau] dhcp-146-41

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Tue Dec 24 20:43:01 PST 2002

I concur 100%.  There's an IP standard of sorts that says that all IP
addresses should have a hostname attached.  There are many services that do
forward and reverse DNS lookups on your IP/hostname to make sure they match.
One such service is some ssh servers.  If you didn't have a hostname (and
some ISP's are broken enough not to assign them), then certain servers won't
allow you connections into them.

Now maybe you're worried that your IP doesn't change too much.  Now to most
people, this is wonderful.  People pay lots and lots of money for static IP
addresses.  With any of the dynamic dns services available, you can get your
own DNS name, and it will be correct over 99% of the time.  You could even
buy a real domain name, and just update it every time it changes.  That
takes a day or two, but since it only changes every couple of months, you
could probably actually make a webserver on there and everything (Oceanic
wouldn't be too thrilled if they found out, though).

Now apparently you consider it a security risk.  However, if someone were to
randomly pick your IP to attack, it wouldn't really matter whether it never
changed or changed everyday.  They'd have an equal chance of randomly
picking your address.  Of course its possible that people could track you
and whatnot, but considering that theoretically Oceanic is the only one who
has any idea of your real identity, this should not be an issue.  However,
if you really want to change your IP address, you could probably do so by
unplugging your cable modem for long periods of time.  Hopefully it will
eventually grab another IP because someone took yours.  That's the way it
works on many other networks, anyway.

Otherwise, the oly other input I have is to make sure that your domain and
your default dns suffixes search order are set to hawaii.rr.com, and that
might help fix your problems.

-Eric Hattemer