[luau] dhcp-146-41

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Mon Dec 23 19:38:00 PST 2002

Wayne,

Road Runner has always assigned hostnames to all of their DHCP clients and
so does every other ISP that uses DHCP that I know of.  This is standard
practice and is how they track the systems on their network.  You can
override this functionality, but it sounds like your problem is with a
Redhat configuration.  The hostname of your system should have no effect on
its operation.  The name localhost is ment to be assigned to 127.0.0.1 and
not your external IP address.  When your system communicates with localhost
it is talking to 127.0.0.1 and not the IP address Road Runner assigned,
unless you have changed something or Redhat's default config is wrong.  You
are making a big deal out of nothing.

Dusty