[luau] dhcp-146-41

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Mon Dec 23 08:28:00 PST 2002

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:24:05AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> That's the default behavior of DHCP in Red Hat 8.0. It is
> probably best to override that with a set hostname when you use
> DHCP. However, I wasn't aware that changing hostnames like that
> would cause so many problems for those services. I need to take
> a closer look at this on my system.

I suspect name resolution issues. Sendmail has been notorious for
locking up the booting process. If the system is named localhost,
name resolution should not fail.

I have seen switching hostnames on systems relying on DHCP,
but never thought much about why and when that happens.
Does the hostname change because a hostname is not set in
/etc/sysconfig/network?

-Vince