[luau] help with rm

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Sun Dec 22 23:44:00 PST 2002

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 11:10:49PM -1000, Alvin Murphy wrote:
> I have tried various variations of rm -R /*.eml and that
> gives error message "cannot lstat...". I cannot remove them
> from Konqueror because "access is refused"; when I check
> permissions, I note they belong to root.

Did you try chown/chmod as root? That should have worked. I can
reproduce the 'cannot lstat' error when I try to access a file in
a directory that I cannot execute:

    mkdir /tmp/foo
    chmod 0000 /tmp/foo
    rm /tmp/foo/bar

> I tried to change that with chown and failed. Also tried chmod
> a+rwx but that did not help.

Assuming your Windows/VFAT partition is /dev/hda1, and is mounted
on /mnt/hda1, as root, type:

    cd /mnt/hda1
    find . -type f -name "*.eml" -exec rm -f {} \;

That should remove all the files under a directory that ends with
the .eml extension.

-Vince