[luau] "Critical" security flaw in Microsoft Windows XP

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 19 21:12:00 PST 2002

  *If we need to be on-line so much, perhaps we should not use a fixed
disk based system.
*

*
The Knoppix-like CD-based operating system suddenly looks more and more
(commercially) attractive--this is maybe what the doctor has ordered for
Linux.  (Both Red Hat and SuSE have demo CDs, but their performance
substantially lags that of Knoppix.  Why this is so, I am very
interested in finding out.)

*

*Dow Jones Business News*

NEW YORK -- Listening to music online suddenly looks a lot more risky.

Late Wednesday, Microsoft Corp. (NasdaqNM:MSFT
<http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=msft&d=t> - News
<http://biz.yahoo.com/n/m/msft.html>) revealed a "critical" flaw in its
Windows XP operating system that could enable hackers to use malicious
MP3 and Windows Media Audio, or WMA, music files and file-swapping
services to wrest control of users' computers. Once in the PC, an
attacker could take any action he chooses, including deleting or
modifying data, reformatting hard drives or running nefarious programs.

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/021219/1855000986_1.html