[luau] Problems with Red Hat 7.1 install

Stan Baptista sbaptista at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 19 15:42:01 PST 2002

Aloha folks,

I'm having problems installing Red Hat and I hope
someone might be able to suggest possible solutions.

Software
--------
Red Hat version: 7.1 Publishers edition

Hardware
--------
Make/model: Hewlett Packard Vectra XU 6/150 personal
computer

Processor: Pentium Pro, 150 Mhz

Memory: 96 MB

OS: Windows XP

Partitions: 1 (i.e., an unpartioned drive C)

Disk space available: @32G

Symptoms
--------
I boot the system from A: using a floppy drive
containing the Linux installer and get this message:

boot:
Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to
continue.

Info
----
1. I've tried booting in both Graphical and Text mode
with the same results.

2. I created the boot disk by copying the install
image from a CD as follows:

a) From an MS-DOS window while running Windows XP:

d: [CD-ROM drive letter on this machine]
cd\dosutils
rawrite

b) rawrite prompts as follows:
Enter disk image source file name: \images\boot.img
Enter target diskette drive: a
Please insert a formatted diskette into drive A: and
press -ENTER- :

c) the image is then copied to the floppy.

3. I've tried reformatting the floppy but get the same
results (some browsing on the net indicated this as a
possible solution.)

4. I tried booting directly from the CD.  The BIOS
settings indicate that booting from a CD is enabled
but this doesn't seem to work.

- NOTE: The CD I'm using came with a book on
installing Linux so it's been packaged by the author.
Whether this is exactly like a Red Hat installer CD is
unclear so that _may_ explain why booting from the CD
has no affect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mahalo,
Stan Baptista