[luau] Duplicating Music CD

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sun Dec 15 15:53:00 PST 2002

In UNIX, a code is better than a thousand words.  The following two
lines of simple code should clearly convey to those in the know the
power of the setuid bit in UNIX/Linux/xBSD.

/bin/chgrp xcdwrite /usr/bin/cdparanoia
/bin/chmod 4710 /usr/bin/cdparanoia

With cdparanoia/xcdroast, I was able to "rip" a regular audio CD in
about 10 minutes (compared to sometimes hours with cdda2wav; however, it
must be noted that I have only very limited experience with either
program).  Thus, conceivably, it should not be too difficult to write a
script combining cdparanoia and cdrecord for direct audio copying.