[luau] Duplicating Music CD

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Dec 9 16:49:00 PST 2002

Hi Vince-

Apparently you have never used xcdroast or grip yourself?  What is the
most recent version of "commercial" Linux distribution that you have used?

I am asking this question, because you apparently don't really know the
heck of what I was talking about.

Yes, there are some inherent problems with the setuid facility--anything
that deals with root privilege inherently has security problems.  But it
is well recognized that Linux's setuid facility allows programs to run
by ordinary users to make use of the root account in a limited and
tightly controlled way.  Of course, it is also well noted that if you
use setuid shell scripts in a certain shell, they can be entirely
insecure.  But we are talking about a well-known "program", and not a
setuid "script".  I really hate people who mix apples and oranges.

I have been doing programming, on and off, for over 35 years.  Coming
from the VMS (precedecor of Windows NT, btw--and there is even an
OpenVMS project) background, I am also one of the first converters to
UNIX.  (Interestingly enough, if my memory serves me correctly, facility
tools such as setuid is one of the reasons promping the conversion.)
 And the reason I am spending a lot of extracurricular activities
hanging with computer boards such as this one, is that I don't want to
be fooled by tech consultants who think technical jargons belong to
their monopoly.  At least I don't need no kids to teach me what "su" or
"sudo" is.

Can't hide my disappointment.