[luau] Re: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #358 - 12 msgs

Eric Jeschke jeschke at portcullis.uhh.hawaii.edu
Fri Aug 23 15:09:00 PDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 luau-request at videl.ics.hawaii.edu wrote:

| From: Dean Fujioka <surfdean at hawaii.rr.com>
| To: luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
| Date: 22 Aug 2002 16:07:48 -1000
| Subject: [luau] rsync ports
|
| I'm setting up some synchronization at work and am being blocked by
| MonMotha's firewall, as I should. I was wondering what port(s) i need to
| open on the firewall to be able to rsync across it.
|
| I am able to use ssh as the transport, i.e.
|
| rsync -avvz -e ssh /copy/thisfromhere/ 10.0.0.66:/tothis/directory
|
| but I can't do it with rsh, i.e. without the '-e ssh'. I've tried
| opening ports 514 and 1023, but still could not connect.  Maybe I could
| use ssh, but I'd like to script this in a cron job. Is that possible?
|
| TIA,
| dean

Dean,

You should use ssh; rsh, like telnet, is a very unsafe protocol these
days.  You can automate the rsync transfer with cron using ssh, look at
the latest issue of linux journal; it has an article on "keychain" which
is what you want.  It uses as an example the exact problem you are
trying to solve: ssh+cron+rsync.

--Eric
--
Eric Jeschke