[luau] Presario 700 and Mandrake 8.2

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Aug 22 20:01:01 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 15:00, Alvin Murphy wrote:
> I wonder if anyone could help me with installing
> Mdk8.2 on the laptop. Belongs to my wife, has WinXP on
> it now, wd be dual boot. I think I can do the
> partitioning with PM, and perhaps the basic install,
> but after that it gets difficult. From what I get on
> various Google spots, may need to edit the Xconfig
> file, and the audio ?codec; may even need to recompile
> the kernel to get some functions. This sounds tough to
> me, but perhaps someone could help, or I could come to
> the next install fest. Can reply to this address or my
> usual amurphy at hawaii.rr.com (cannot reach the smtp
> server through proxy at work) thanks

I think Mandrake 8.2 would work fine almost "out of the box" in Mandrake
8.2.  I tested Red Hat 7.3 on that laptop series, it has some problems
because it is missing some driver entries that Mandrake has for sure.

Alternatively, you could wait a month or two and Mandrake 9.0 will be
out.  That should work for sure too.

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=192
Please read this review that I wrote last month about the Compaq
Presario 700 series.  I have tons of notes there about Linux
compatibility too. Note that since then I have found drivers to make hte
win-modem work great in Linux.