[luau] rsync ports

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Aug 22 16:08:00 PDT 2002

Dean Fujioka wrote:
> I'm setting up some synchronization at work and am being blocked by
> MonMotha's firewall, as I should. I was wondering what port(s) i need to
> open on the firewall to be able to rsync across it.

There is no outbound filtering on the script, only inbound, so the
problem lies at the server end.

> I am able to use ssh as the transport, i.e.
>
> rsync -avvz -e ssh /copy/thisfromhere/ 10.0.0.66:/tothis/directory
>
> but I can't do it with rsh, i.e. without the '-e ssh'. I've tried
> opening ports 514 and 1023, but still could not connect.  Maybe I could
> use ssh, but I'd like to script this in a cron job. Is that possible?

Set up an RSA keypair with no passphrase (and guard the private end with
your life since it's not encrypted), and you can use SSH, which is MUCH
MUCH more secure than rsh as rsh uses IP based authentication, which is
trivial to bypass in many situations.

> TIA,
> dean

--MonMotha