[luau] Limbo 2 Gone from Mirrors

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Aug 21 11:05:01 PDT 2002

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> Almost every Linux guru I know has his/her own custom system.  All my
> clients who have anything to do with Linux always customize their own Linux
> kernel.  Is this an unspoken sina quo non or what?  :-)
>
> Compiling and installing a new kernel is not the main problem.  The
> difficult part
> is, essentially every major distro has its customized kernel.  And if
> their patches are not incorporated by Marcelo, the 18-year Brazilian
 > wonder kid who is now in charge of the stable kernel, then there may
> be  some unknown consequences.

The distributions try to not make their userspace dependent upon these
patches, or at least make it so that the userspace components will
gracefully handle the non-presence of them.  They know that Linux
systems are customizable, and to make it impossible or overly difficult
to drop in a custom kernel would alienate a large portion of their userbase.

--MonMotha