Fwd: Re: [luau] Virus Scan/Checker

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Aug 17 20:21:01 PDT 2002

Subject: Re: [luau] Virus Scan/Checker
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:04:34 -1000
From: Ben Beeson <beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com>
To: luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

Dan,

	I use the McAfee AntiVirus for unix on my box. In my case, my employer
requires a firewall and AV on home computers before they will allow them to
remotely access the mail.   The McAfee product is the "approved" solution for
*nix boxes and was provided to me on the employers license.  As such, I
cannot comment on the cost effectiveness of the solution--the boss bought it
for me so to speak...  I run the scans from a crontab file daily and with
different options weekly.   I get e-mail from the system whent eh virus scan
is complete that tells me everything I need to know, along with a few other
things....  I also have an ftp script that checks the McAfee site regularly
for updates to the virus signature lists.  So far, I am OK.... I hope it
stays that way ;-)

	There is a solution to scan email called AMaViS available from:
http://www.amavis.org/ with info on the sourceforge at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amavis  If you are using a dual boot setup,
you may wish to investigate this option because it should be able to scan the
whole of your drive space from the Linux side and deal with any viruses it
finds.

Good luck,

Ben