[luau] Software RAID (Donation of Oracle 9i Linux)

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri Aug 16 12:01:11 PDT 2002

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> <What would be the point of doing a RAID with 1 drive :)  You get 0
> redundency.>
>
> True, in theory.  But suppose you are working on a 1,000 page leagl
> "brief",
> then all of a sudden you hid a bad sector in your hard drive which
> causes your
> document to become corrupted?
>
> A new question.  Will the same-drive RAID help in a virus infested
> situation?  For example, suppose I downloaded a Microsoft Word .doc file
> which contains
> a macro virus.  Will this Microsoft virus do the same damages on the
> redundent
> partition?

Of course it will.  RAID makes copies of everything, below the
filesystem layer.  A RAID array ensures that both disks are identical.

While on the subject, I would NOT reccomend doing RAID on a single disk
with different partitions: it would be slower than you would believe.
RAID has to make sure all devices have committed the info before it can
continue (to keep the array consistant, of course hardware raids with
battery backup can work around this with lots of cache and keeping the
disks up to date minus cache).  This would cause massive disk seeks
every time the drive was accessed, killing performance.

--MonMotha