[luau] Software RAID (Donation of Oracle 9i Linux)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Aug 16 06:57:00 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 06:32, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> I suppose if you set up a cron script to incrementally backup a
> partition/directory or even one or more files every 10 seconds or so
> (i.e., when you are doing a critical work, then turn if off when you're
> done).  That may be better than a same HD RAID?  Right?

That may not work very well every 10 seconds, or even copies during live
operation, because live files that are open and constantly changing will
have unpredictable results when saved in this fashion at the filesystem
layer.

Oracle (and other databases) have "snapshotting" built in that can do
backups of a live database, as well as replication.  However, I really
don't think the school needs even RAID-1 or any of these fancy safety
methods.  This would NOT be a production database.  It will be used only
for SQL statement practice on small databases that they create, and
perhaps Java development at a Unix command-line.

Currently they do Java development at a DOS command-line.  It works
okay, but WinMe DOS lacks tab-completion and is not case sensitive,
while being somewhat limited by the 8.3 filename limitation.  They also
must constantly fuss with floppies.  This Linux server would allow each
student to store their Java files in their own account, accessible via
Samba share in the lab, or SSH from the lab or home over the Internet.

I'm thinking about using NFS and NIS+ to keep these server accounts in
sync with the Sun Enterprise 450 a few doors down running the SunRay
lab, but I am worried about security between the two rooms.  Some genius
used HUBS across a large portion of the campus, so security of NFS and
NIS+ over the existing network would be quite bad.  Would this work over
a cheap, direct cross-over link between the two rooms?  Then I guess the
only problem would be the very expensive additional 100mbit Ethernet
interface for the Sun E450. =(

Perhaps NFS and NIS+ wouldn't be worth the effort?  Then I would
recommend the school to put a cheap CD burner into the Linux/Oracle/Java
server.

Warren