[luau] Software RAID (Donation of Oracle 9i Linux)

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Aug 15 14:49:01 PDT 2002

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> <Not really :)>
>
> Just thought that with the current advancement of multiple-head HDs,
> things might have changed.
> But I suppose if someone can develop a new type of BIOS?

Most consumer grade IDE hard drives don't support reading from multiple
heads at the same time, not that it would matter much as IDE drives can
only do one thing at once, before they return the result to the system.
  SCSI drives of course have tagged command queueing, and I seem to
recall that some allow reading from multiple heads at once, but it is
controlled by the drive's firmware, not the PC host.

RAID, by definition, is a "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Devices".
Normally these "devices" are whole packages, not pieces parts inside a
single unit.

--MonMotha