[luau] use dd for disk clone?

burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Aug 15 11:36:01 PDT 2002

I am looking for a way to make a disk image or disk clone,
found the following in a linux list archive.

<quote>

Subject:      Re: Linux disk cloning tool ?

Yes--look at the man page for the dd command.  It copies raw
disk images and
why not use it for ghosting?  It's a simple, one-line command
entry.

<end quote>

Being a newbie, I looked at the man page but was not
enlightened.

dd seems to be file oriented, but I guess you
can just treat two mounted disks as files? What would that
look like, use /dev/hda and /dev/hdb as stdin and stdout,
something like that? If you use / it would cause a problem
because you'd be including your destination in your source,
right?

Isn't there also an issue regarding open files, etc.? When I
clone a disk in irix, the manual says to do it in single user
mode, I presume because you want all the files in a consistent
state.

Anyone see a way of using dd to make a disk image file instead
of cloning a disk?

I found some other software at
<http://systemimager.org/download/> that sounds like it would
do the job, but I hate to clutter up my system if it is
redundant.

Would tar do? Tarball too big? Would tar be able to make an
exact copy? Would it leave out .files?

Delirious Dave