[luau] My Fetchmail and Procmail setup

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Aug 14 21:56:01 PDT 2002

For those of you wondering "What the heck is fetchmail and procmail?",
it is a convenient pair of tools that you can use to easily consolidate
several mail accounts, downloading mail from POP3 or IMAP accounts from
several different servers, and putting it through filters that throw
mail into folders and spam into the spam bin.  Then you can run an IMAP
server, giving you access to all of these server-stored mail folders
from any client, be it Windows Outlook or Linux Evolution.  No matter
what client you use, your mail folders are in sync with all reply,
forward and flag flags intact.  You can also use SquirrelMail to add a
convenient web based interface to your IMAP server.

I will post a HOWTO on the MPLUG Wiki sometime soon.  Somebody remind me
about this on AIM so I'll actually get around to doing it.

Here's samples from my global fetchmailrc (used by fetchmail daemon
mode) and .procmailrc, specific to my user account.

/home/warren/.procmailrc sample
----------------
MAILDIR=$HOME/imap

:0
LUAU-VIDEL

:0
USCLUG

:0
FOCUS-MS

:0
FOCUS-LINUX

:0
* ^list-post: <mailto:reiserfs-list at namesys.com>
REISERFS

:0
ATARAID-LIST

:0
BUGTRAQ

:0
* ^list-post: <mailto:discuss at openoffice.org>
OPENOFFICE-DISCUSS

:0
XTERMINALS

:0

:0
WFTL-LUG

:0
ABACUS

:0
XDG-LIST

:0
K12OSN

:0
REDHAT-DEVEL

:0
* ^Sender: acpi-devel-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
ACPI-DEVEL

:0
* ^From: bugzilla-daemon at mozilla.org
BUGZILLA

:0
* ^From: bugzilla at redhat.com
BUGZILLA

:0
lwlan-user

:0

:0
SM-DEVEL

:0
SM-I18N

:0
COOKER

:0
* ^Sender: owner-bilug at leka.uhh.hawaii.edu
BILUG

:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamassassin -P

        :0:
        SPAM

analyzes the message for its likelihood that it is spam.  If its spam
"score" goes above a certain configurable threshold, the spam is tossed
into my SPAM folder which I can check later.

SpamAssasin itself is an AWESOME spam filtering solution, free for Unix
users and available as a quick and easy single RPM package for Red Hat.

For your Windows Outlook friends, you can recommend the commercial
version of SpamAssasin available for a small price that adds
SpamAssassin filtering to Outlook as a plugin.  It is available as a 30
day demo (I think), and if they buy it they not only protect themselves
from spam, but support the open source development of the free
SpamAssassin.

fetchmailrc
Hmmm... my fetchmailrc file is very messy and I rather not show it
because I don't fully understand it.  Until I write the HOWTO check out
fetchmailconf, which is a GUI configuration tool for fetchmailrc.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com