[luau] Oracle Pro C on Linux

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Aug 13 15:34:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Vikram Khurana wrote:
>install came with gcc 2.96
>So I copied the gcc 2.95.3 files from another RH computer and put them
>under /usr/local/ on my computer. I also put the
>/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3 path in PATH. However
>now I get an error
>ld: cannot open crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

It is not necessary to put /usr/local/lib/* in the PATH.  The gcc in
/usr/local/bin will find the correct gcc-lib directory (if it was
installed correctly).

>crtbeginS.o does exist in the
>/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3 directory so why the
>hell does it not find it??

Probably because the gcc you are using is /usr/bin/gcc.  Which looks in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib for the support files.

>I'm drowning in gcc hell. Can somebody please tell me what I need to do
>to get past this problem?

When you copied the gcc 2.95.3 from another RH system, was that from the
/usr/local prefix?  You can not copy gcc from /usr to /usr/local.  When
gcc was built, it is given the prefix directory.  gcc will then use this
prefix directory to find things like libgcc*.a and crt*.o.  You can try
use the -B option to tell gcc to look somewhere else.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org