[luau] Access2000 Linux import

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Aug 12 15:23:00 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 15:03, Brian Low wrote:
> Aloha all,
>   I current have a customer with a Microsoft Access2000 Database.  I
> have 3 questions, 1) I there a way to create a SQL database in linux and
> import the Access2000 Database?

Probably the easiest way would be to export the data to Microsoft SQL
syntax, then do some manual regex conversion of that text to get it into
PostgreSQL or MySQL syntax.  Ryan Shrout, owner of AMDMB needed to do
just this a while ago when he converted from Windows 2000, IIS web
server, MSSQL and ColdFusion to LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), so I
know this is very possible.
A few months ago I remember seeing an option in Microsoft SQL 2000's
Enterprise Manager that will easily import or export this type of data
between Access and MSSQL Server.  I haven't used MSSQL for a few months
now, so I don't remember what this tool is called.

You could either use the Microsoft SQL 2000 120-day demo in order to
help convert the data, or perhaps Access 2000 has its own "export to
SQL" option.  There may also be Open Source tools that can input Access
databases.  I will search around.

> 2) IF it is posible, is there a way to
> build a Web base front end for the Database, and
>3) Are there any local
> consultants that are intrested in working on this project?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Definitely.  There are many local people that can do this well.  I
personally don't have the time (and I would be very slow at doing it),
but contact me directly and I'll have some recommendations for people
who could possibly do the job within a day or two.

Warren