[luau] kpackage

T. David Burns burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Aug 7 21:06:00 PDT 2002

At 03:50 PM 7/28/2002 -1000, Eric Hattemer wrote:
>kpackage (which I
>really liked, but Warren had some kind of problem with), mysteriously
>disappeared in the newest versions of redhat.

I just installed 7.3 and I got it. I don't know where to find it on a menu,
but you don't need to. If you use konqueror to click on an rpm it opens
kpackage automatically. Mozilla doesn't do so automatically, but I bet you
could reconfigure it to. But then you'd have to figure out where it is. Oh
well, even *I* can run locate.

And my last take on the CLI vs. GUI religious thing - there are still some
people who like assembly language (or raw machine code if assembly is too
tame for you). And they are smart people. That doesn't mean we should
follow their lead. There are increasingly rare times when you need to do
something the old way. But few of us will be sorry to see it go, once
something really decent takes its place. (Soon, I hope.) Apple didn't get
it right at first, and MS took about ten years to get it pretty close to
good, so I guess it's not too embarrassing that a volunteer project is a
little slow.

Deluded Dave