[luau] Installing R-W CDrom

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Sun Aug 4 11:29:01 PDT 2002

"W. Wayne Liauh" wrote:

> I bought a CDRW last October and I couldn't get it to work under either
> Win98 or Win2K.  I downloaded the driver from the manufacturer.  But it
> still doesn't work.
>
> "Ironically," I have no problems with either Mandrake 8.2 or Red Hat
> 7.3.  And that was one of the main reasons that I decided to finally
> move everything to Linux.
>
> I don't know why we have to stick to the "old" distributions like
> Caldera 2.3 or Mandrake 8.0.  I deeply believe that, since we do not do
> the coding, one way of paying our dues to the open source community is
> to test their software.
>
> Thanks to Warren's efforts in maintaining our local mirror, I was able
> to d/l and install Mandrake 9.0 beta2 late last night in less than one
> hour.  And I saw very noticeable improvements in performance (especially
> in web browsing).  There are of course some kinks in MDK 9.0 beta 2,
> mostly in system configuration, which Mandrake typically leaves it alone
> until everything else (i.e., application programs) is in good shape.
>
> Of course it is too much to ask everyone to try a beta.  But, from my
> own experience, most Linux distros have improved drastically with each
> upgrade version.

I'll be glad to try Mandrake 9.0 but I need the instructions as to how
to download the floppy from the source either the Luau Mirror or the
MAndrake site. Where do I find the floppy image to download?
--
Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.