[luau] MSWindows

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Aug 2 21:53:00 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Dean Fujioka wrote:
>Jimen Ching wrote:
>> I'm just disappointed that so many distributions start carry this
>> baggage and forcing the rest of us to drag it along.
>Why do you feel forced to use the GUI?

I am not forced to use the GUI.  But if a distribution includes both GNOME
and KDE, it means there is more testing, which means longer release cycle.
It also increases the number of CD's to store everything.  Well, this last
part is not such a big deal.

>Or do you feel that Linux development is wasted on GUI dev?

There is enough developers to go around, so there is nothing wasted.  But
if you look at all the new projects, they are all either GNOME based, or
KDE based.  Whatever happened to console apps or curses?  I still use PINE
to read email.  It's only a matter of time before even this application
disappears (i.e. the maintainer stops maintaining it).

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org